Friday, September 28, 2007

Day 2| 2º Dia

Well, it took me as long standing in the queue at the registry office at Imperial as it had to get there in the first place (1hour), but I guess it’s oddly reassuring to discover other countries have large queues too… the difference being, of course, that instead of Lisbon University’s 1 person at the counter and 1 working in the background, I counted 4 people at the counter, 9 working in the background, and a man helping people still in the queue (answering queries, giving them the right forms to fill in while they waited, and generally being helpful)… The fun part was the languages I overheard in the queue: there was Japanese galore, some French, Italian, a Scandinavian couple behind me… almost anything but English!
Anyway, I eventually handed in my papers and now just have to wait to receive an e-mail telling me to register online, after which I’ll be able to get my student discount oyster card (aka a pass that’s valid on underground, busses, trains and trams), also online! Which is probably just as well, since the reason I have no photos today is: THE WEATHER! Wet stuff has been intermittently falling from the sky since lunchtime, and it doesn’t look like it’s going to clear any time soon… oh, and temperatures have been 13-17ºC!Despite the rain, I couldn’t resist temptation, so I went for a quick wonder in the Natural History Museum, before heading back home… without getting lost (I’m so proud of myself!)!

Bem, passei tanto tempo na fila para a secretaria como no caminho até lá (1hora), mas suponho que há algo estranhamente reconfortante na descoberta de que outros países também têm filas enormes... claro está que a diferença é que em vez de haver 1 funcionário ao balcão e 1 a trabalhar lá atrás, como na FCUL, no Imperial contei 4 pessoas ao balcão, 9 a trabalhar lá atrás, e um homem a ajudar quem estava na fila (tirando dúvidas, dando os formulários que as pessoas precisavam para preencherem enquanto esperavam, e basicamente sendo prestável)... O giro foram as línguas que ouvi na fila: japonês para dar e vender, algum francês, italiano, um casal escandinavo atrás de mim... quase tudo menos inglês!
Mas pronto, eventualmente entreguei a papelada que precisava, e agora só tenho de esperar que me mandem um mail para me increver online. Quando o tiver feito, posso pedir o meu passe de estudante (válido para metro, comboio, autocarro e eléctrico) também online! O que é bom, já que a razão pela qual não tenho fotos hoje é: O TEMPO! Tem estado a chuviscar desde a hora de almoço, e não parece em vias de melhorar nos próximos tempos... ah, e a temperatura tem andado nos 13-17ºC!
Apesar da chuva, não resisti à tentação e fui dar uma voltinha rápida no Museu de História Natural, antes de voltar para casa... sem me perder (estou tão orgulhosa de mim própria!)!

4 comments:

Rain said...

Finalmente novidades!! :D

Os esquilos nessa terra são mais que as mães é verdade... Por acaso em Aveiro também temos mais do que uma pessoa a atender, mas no tempo de espera isso não se nota muito!

Pareces muito entusiasmada, adorei ler! És o meu orgulho! He he***

Aurora said...

Só não tenho fotos para competir com o teu!;P
Bj grd e obrigada por leres*

Anonymous said...

I´m also very proud of you Sonia
greetings from Iceland

Ester

Aurora said...

Thank you, Ester!
Nice to know you "came" to my blog;)